Saturday 17 December 2016

GTO: Shonan 14 Days




Author: Fujisawa Tohru
Alternative title: GTO: 14 Days in Shonan, Black Diamond
Type: Manga
Chapters: 77
Tags: action, comedy, shounen, romance, drama, ecchi

Have you ever wondered what happened to Onizuka after he was shot by Teshigawara in original series? Well this spin-off is just ready for you! Because of Onizuka's stupidness he needed to hide himself for a bit so he came to his hometown Shonan. There he accidentally stumbled into facility for problematic kids with two beutifull woman guardians. Of course at first his intentions are very selfish (I mean it's Onizuka, 22 year old virgin) but soon his kidness and big heart force him to help those broken kids by any possible way.
Story of this Onizuka spin-off is kind of fast-paced but problems in this one are really serious matter. Abused children never had it easy so this bunch is very messed up. And it was very satisfying to see how Onizuka solved their problems risking even his own life. Of course it's bit episodic but everything really headed towards an end where everything was connected and made a sense. 
Also Onizuka police officer and bus hijacker are so far the most sexier outfits I've seen on him XD (do I need to mention that I have a crush on him???).
Characters are like always the biggest win in Onizuka universe. Eikichi all alone is one of the best main characters you can meet in manga. He is pervert but you can also say that's kind of healthy attitude for a young man who is still a virgin XD But his biggest trait is that he cares about people in need, especially woman and children. And he is badass, if you find anyone who jump-kicked windshield of car tell me. Simply everyting Onizuka does is badass and he doesn't need any superpowers.
But away from The Greatest Teacher ever this spin-off presents another good and interesting characters (just next to some appearance of Ryuuji, Urumi, Uchiyamada and more old regulars) like Ayame who is really devoted to her job and feels more like a mother than some mere staff. Or Shinomi, the girl from Shonan Junai Gumi who always had a crush on Onizuka and this kind of reveals where she ended. All kids are very original too, Miki doesn't care about using her fathers police power to create ruckus in order to get more of his attention. Seiya helds a such strong grudge against his mother's boyfrined that he is devoted to personaly kill him. Ikuko, shy girl whose mother almost killed her by boiling water or Sakurako who slits her wrist when facing distress because of her abusive and perverted father. And I can't forget about twins using yakuza power to even try to kill Onizuka. All characters work very well together and I love the interactions, Fujisawa is amazingly good at this because he gives soul to his characters. They feel very realistic and that's important for me.
Art is definately better than in Shonan Gumi and even upgraded from original GTO. I really like it especially during fighting scenes because it's just sooo badass. Also amount of facial expressions is huge, sometimes realistic, sometimes totaly creepy or hilarious.
Humour is alwasy the same, hilarious, sometimes immature and it really hit my personal taste. So if you like it in previous mangas there wouldn't be any problem here.
So what I should say? My reading order was kind of very messed, of course I've read original GTO first but I continued with others after like six years. But I think starting with Shonan Junai Gumi was a good thing to do. But doing it I really missed older Onizuka so I really enjoyed this one.
Overall. This spin-off is almost as good as original but sadly everything was a bit fast-forwarded to me. I would really love more of White Swan.

Rating: 8,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment